I absolutely love smoothies and I am not the only one. My kids also love smoothies. In our home we usually have smoothies for breakfast or lunch and I try to have a smoothie daily.
Smoothies are a quick meal that can be taken on the go and they are a easy way to get in extra fruits and veggies. This recipe is mom, dad, and kid approved. It is easy to add or change the ingredients to make it your own. So, it doesn’t matter if you don’t like a particular ingredient. I made notes to show how to substitute for certain items depending on what is on hand or the likes of certain family members. I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do!
First off here are the ingredients you will need:
- 2-3 cups of milk of any kind or water (I use almond milk but it doesn’t matter)
- 2 tablespoons nut butter of any kind (I like almond butter my kids prefer peanut butter)
- 2 different kinds of fruit (whatever you like, most days we do banana & mango but I ran out of mango so we did blueberries instead) I use 1 whole banana and about 1 cup of another type of fruit
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup old fashioned oats uncooked
- 1 tablespoon natural sweetener (I use organic local raw honey or grade B maple syrup)
Put all ingredients in a blender and mix.
Keep in mind the amounts of each item are on the large side because, usually when I make this, I am making it for at least 3 if not 4 kids. Also, I would like to note I tend to make ours more liquid rather then being thick so my 18 month old can drink it from his sippy cup.
Below is a picture of my kids’ cups they use and how much they get.
On this particular day I made a smoothie for only 3 of my children. My boys love being able to decide what ingredients go in their smoothies and tasting their creations when finished. This is a great way to get the kids involved in making their own “healthy” food.
Do you make smoothies on a daily basis? I would love to know your favorite smoothie recipes!